Monday 28 February 2011

Anne Hathaway Sings, James Franco Makes Charlie Sheen Joke During Oscars

Hathaway belts out comical tune ribbing Hugh Jackman before Franco takes jab at Sheen.
By Jocelyn Vena


Anne Hathaway performs during the 2011 Oscars
Photo: AMPAS/ ABC

The Oscars broadcast went nearly one hour before anyone cracked a Charlie Sheen joke. It was James Franco who did the honors, but not before his fellow co-host, Anne Hathaway got the chance to poke fun at another well-known actor. Hathaway took to the stage solo clad in a tuxedo and belted out a tune to the melody of "On My Own" from "Les Miserables," a little jab at Hugh Jackman who she apparently wanted to do a duet with during the broadcast.

"There's a tradition of singing at the Oscars," she mused to the crowd. "One that I was lucky enough to take part in two years ago. And this year I wanted to do a duet again with a special guest, but he bailed on me at the last minute and I couldn't do it. But I'm not a quitter, so this is the best I could do under the circumstances."

She then got up and dazzled the crowd with her killer vocal abilities, singing these biting lines to one particular former Oscars host: "On my own/ 'Cause someone's a huge jackass/ I won't say who/ Thought Australians were our allies/ It turns out Down Under's kinda shady/ Not you, Nicole, or not any other Aussie but just one/ Who shall not be named," as the cameras panned to Hugh Jackman, who had performed with Hathaway at the 2009 Academy Awards during a celeb-filled musical number.

"He stuck his fake retractable claws/ Into my heart," she continued. "When he left me on my own."

But the bit didn't end there, as Franco walked onstage dressed in drag as Marilyn Monroe. "You got to wear a tuxedo," he joked to Hathaway. "So I wore this. Weird part is I just got a text message from Charlie Sheen." The two then played the joke off, welcoming to the stage Russell Brand and Helen Mirren, who presented the Best Foreign Language Film prize to "In a Better World" (Denmark).

Stick with MTV News on Oscar night and beyond for red-carpet fashion coverage, analysis of the winners, plus interviews, photos and more from your favorite Hollywood stars!

Related Videos Related Photos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1658812/anne-hathaway-james-franco-oscars.jhtml

Emilie de Ravin Emma Heming Emma Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment